3 day trip to Caño Cristales from Bogota
Embark on a wonderful and colorful adventure.
Go to La Macarena, a village located in southern region of Colombia
Jump on a boat, a jeep and then hike to one of the most beautiful rivers in the world, Caño Cristales.
Have lunch right by the river.
Be astounded by the liquid rainbow that is Caño Cristales.
Visit different sections of the lively river.
Go on a scenic hike through a canyon to Los Pilones.
In a Nutshell
- Embark on a wonderful and colorful adventure.
- Go to La Macarena, a village located in southern region of Colombia.
- Jump on a boat, a jeep and then hike to one of the most beautiful rivers in the world, Caño Cristales.
- Have lunch right by the river.
- Be astounded by the liquid rainbow that is Caño Cristales.
- Try Ternera a la Llanera a typical beef preparation of the Colombian flat lands.
- Visit different sections of the lively river.
- Go on a scenic hike through a canyon to Los Pilones.
- Travel Insurance
- Private transportation from and to your hotel in Bogotá.
- Tickets Bogotá-La Macarena-Bogotá
- 2 nights at Casa Hotel
- Transportation in Jeeps
- Local guide
- All described tours
- IMPORTANT: The season where the plants that give Caño Cristales its color only grow from June to November, which is the rain season. We don't recommend travel to Caño Cristales before June or after November because you probably won't enjoy the scenery (the river will be dry and thus without plants). Please keep that in mind, when you plan your trip!
- Bring hiking shoes and an additional pair to keep clean and dry. During June to November, the chances of rain are high, so bring a rain jacket. Don’t forget to bring a canteen. Long sleeve shirt and large pants are recommended. Try to avoid jeans. Also, don't forget your cap. Bring a light towel and of course, your swimsuit. It would help to have a small backpack for the daily hikes.
- In Caño Cristales and Caño Cristalitos it is forbidden to use sunscreen and mosquito repellent but you can use them for the rest of the trip.
- The tours are run by small groups of 8 participants max. You will be assigned to a group that has the same hiking level as you. The program on day 1 and 3 will be adapted according to your level. On day 2 (Caño Cristales), there are several routs in the reserve that vary in length. Your will be assigned to a rout according to your hiking level.
- There are 3 taxes that must be paid that are not included in the price. One upon arrival to the airport CO$ 37,000, another at the operating office next to the hotel CO$87,000 and another one at the airport on the departure CO$6,000.
Please read our cancellation policy.
Caño Cristales is one of the most beautiful rivers in the world! During a particular season of the year, this spectacular river becomes a liquid rainbow that dazzles every visitor that sees it. So don’t hesitate and embark on this wonderful and colorful adventure.
Get up at first lights, have breakfast and meet our driver at the hotel entrance to take you to the airport by 9:00 am. You will fly for about an hour to La Macarena, a village located in southern region of Colombia that once was unthinkable to visit due to the internal conflict but now has become an important touristic hub. La Macarena is a good example of social empowerment from a community who has managed to work together in order to preserve and benefit from the natural treasure they have just a few miles away: Caño Cristales.
After being collected at the airport by your local guide, you will be taken to a mandatory 30-minute brief given by Cormacarena, which is the tourism bureau of the place. After that, you will walk for 10 minutes through the village to La Cascada Hotel: clean and basic hotel with a smiling staff and comfortable rooms. Put your hiking shoes on because the action starts from now. After you settle in, you will have lunch and our local guide will pick you up and you will embark a boat that will take you up the Guayabero River for 25 minutes. After that, you will walk for about an hour and reach Caño Cristalitos, an amazing natural spa with small ponds filled with the characteristic algae that give this river its rainbow-like look. For those with better physical shape, the visit will go to El Mirador, a point where you will enjoy an amazing view of the wild savannah bordered with the Macarena Mountain Range (1.5 hours hike up to the top of a mountain). In the afternoon, you will get back to the hotel and have dinner at La Macarena.
Today you will visit the main sector of Caño Cristales River. After having breakfast at the hotel, our guide will pick you up and after about an hour transport by boat and jeep, you will get to the starting point of the hike that will take you to Caño Cristales. This hike has different levels and can be from 30 minutes to 4 hours. Once you reach the river, you will visit many different spots; you will have the chance to swim and relax at the Willy Wonka like ponds and enjoy your box lunch at the site. In the afternoon, you will have time to rest at the hotel before the dinner event where we will enjoy a “ternera a la llanera” a typical beef preparation of the Colombian flat lands while listening to a live band of “Joropo”, the characteristic music of that part of Colombia.
On you last day at La Macarena, you will visit Los Pilones, which is a scenic hike through a stone canyon with lush green vegetation. A true delight for outdoor lovers. Alternatively, we will visit Caño Pedra, another good spot for taking a bath at a crystal clear water river in the in the middle of the vast savannah (this doesn’t entail hiking). At the end of the hike, you will visit a new section of the river and you will be back at La Macarena for lunchtime. In the afternoon, you will get back to Bogotá. Upon arrival, a driver will collect you from the airport and take you to your Bogotá hotel.
Go on a 3-day adventure to the Coffee Region from Medellín. This magnificent and astonishing region is now an UNESCO World Heritage site. You will have the chance on going on a road trip through the spectacular coffee highway, visiting Manizales which is the wonderful capital of
On this 8 package you will immerse yourself in Colombian culture, well you will go to three main cities: Bogotá, Medellín and Cartagena. In each city you will go on tour and activities that are iconic to the culture of each region. You will also have some activities that more tha
Take a tour through the lost city and experience an archaeological adventure starting from Santa Marta to El Mamey to Mutanzi and back with an English speaking guide and accommodations.
Take a tour through the lost city and experience anarchaeological adventure starting from Santa Marta to El Mamey, hike to the local coffee farm, to Mutanzi, and back with an English speaking guide and accommodations.
Take a tour to the two largest cities in Colombia, from the highlights of both Bogota to Medellin.
The best Colombian tour for the adventurers with a 10 day trip from historical Bogota to Colombia’s coffee region-Salento, then to Medellin for Pablo Escobar tour, and finally to the Caribbean Cartagena.
From the Andes Bogota to the Caribbean Cartagena, this tour you will give you the best of both worlds. Join us for a historical tour, Gold Museum, Andres Carne de Res, to San Felipe Castle, to Islas del Rosario, and more.
Take an 8-day package to see the best of Colombia including Bogota, Medellin, Guatape, and to the Carribean Cartagena.
A 10-day tour to the best 3 cities in Colombia from Bogota to Medellin and Cartagena and as we take you to best spots of each city has to offer with our private transportation.
A tour in Colombia that takes you around from historical Bogota to innovative Medellin, and finally to the Caribbean Cartagena.
Colombia’s best tour to Tayrona national park and Minca. This 5 day tour includes Santa Marta’s Sierra Nevada, Las Cascadas Marinka, La Victoria Coffee Farm, Mirador de Los Pinos, and more.
This coffee tour is tailore-made for coffee lovers. Explore Colombian coffee from Salento, Valle del Cocora, Quindio Wax Palm, Catedral de Manizales, Hacienda Venecia, Parque Nacional Natural Los Nevados, and more.
Take a 7-day package to Medellin, visit the highlights of the city from Parque Lleras, House of Memory Museum, Comuna 13, El Jardin Botanico, Guatape, El Peñol, coffee farm, and more.
Enjoy best of both worlds with our 6-day tour in Cartagena and Rosario Islands with private transportation to El Cerro de la Popa, the Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas, Islas del Rosario National Park, Mucura Island, and more.
A 6-day tour in Bogota and outside the city from Monserrate Sanctuary, La Candelaria, Botero Museum, Gold Museum, to Zipaquira Salt Cathedral, Villa de Leyva, to world’s largest pottery (Casa Terracota), and more.
The best tour in Bogota that takes you around the city with private transportation for 5 days from Monserrate Mountain, Gold Museum, La Candelaria, Plaza de Bolivar, Usaquen, Guatavita, Tobia, and more.
Enjoy a Caribbean vacation tour from Cartagena to Isla Mucura. This 2 night gateway includes the boat to the island, tropical cocktails, massage by the beach, and more.
Sierra Nevada del Cocuy Tour: Amazing three-day excursion to the national park with English speaking and experienced mountain guide. Learn more now!
Spend one night in Villa de Leyva taking our private transport from Bogota and visit El Infiernito, blue pond, require, and more.
Spend two nights in Villa de Leyva taking our private transport from Bogota and visit El Infiernito, blue pond, require, and more.